Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I found out that I qualify exception to an excess Roth

Customer Question

I found out that I qualify for an exception to an excess Roth contribution received in 2015 for the prior year because I received over 12 weeks unemployment in **2014**. My question is: do I have to report this on my 2015 tax return, or does it only become an issue if I get audited for 2015? Unemployment income was showing on my 2014 return.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

If you received a 1099-R, it needs to be claimed on your return to the extent that it's taxable. If you are not penalized or taxed, no worries -- you won't have anything to pay.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I did receive a 1099R and there's a taxable amount in box 2a for $494. Am I supposed to pay a 10% penalty and pay taxes on this even though I got 12 weeks unemployment insurance in 2014? I'm 54 years old

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

No, you won't pay the 10% penalty -- when you file your return and enter it into the software, then note that you meet an exception

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I don't know where to note the exception in turbo tax, can you help me?

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

I'm not familiar with TurboTax, so I am unable to give you directions to where to put this in. Please rate this question, then add another question directly related to TurboTax