Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Do I have to file tax on inheritance from an estate/ my

Customer Question

do I have to file tax on inheritance from an estate/ my grandfather died in 1994 left property to 8 children( one was my mother) my mother passed in 2005 the property was sold in 2015, my mother's portion was put into an estate/ the estate was distributed in2015 to8 children
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.

So, if I understand you correctly, your mother was one of eight children who was your grandfather's beneficiary and your mother had eight children who shared in her estate.

If you are referring to your inheritance from your mother, which would include everything you received from your mother's estate, you would be entitled to an exemption from the Indiana Inheritance Tax in the amount of $100,000.

So, if the amount of your inheritance is less than that amount there is no inheritance tax due.

In addition, any filings related to your mother's estate would be the responsibility of your mother's Executor(trix) or Administrator of your mother's estate.