Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have a questions about claiming a dependent who receives

Customer Question

Hi ***** *****, My name is ***** ***** I have a questions about claiming a dependent who receives SSI benefits.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My roommate is on SSI and receives 900/month. He gives me about 400 for household expenses - rent, utilities, renters ins, etc. I pay approx. 80% of these expenses and the amount he contributes is about 20%. If I claim him as a dependent (we're not in any relationship or related) will it affect the benefit amount he receives or is eligible for?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

If you claim that person as a dependent - that means - you provide more than half of his support and you are living in the SAME household - that is OK from tax prospective..

Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

HOWEVER..
If that is Supplemental Security income - which is based on needs - then his benefits could be affected.

So as long as he reports that support on his SSI application - you are OK.
If however - that is social security income based on his working record - these will not be affected.

Questions?

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.