Jason M. Tyra, CPA
Jason M. Tyra, CPA, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Principal at Jason M. Tyra, CPA, PLLC
92489302

We had an international intern coming in this year (under J1

Customer Question

Hello, we had an international intern coming in this year (under J1 visa). Do we need to collect their information through a W9 form?
Category: Tax
Expert:  JenniferImmLaw replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

You would only need to if the person is a J-1 Student After 5 years in the U.S. or is a J-1 Scholar and then After 2 years in the U.S.

Good luck to you during this process and I hope this answer has helped you!

If you are not satisfied with my answer or if I did not understand your question correctly, please ask me for clarification and I will be glad to clarify. Your satisfaction is my goal.

Please kindly remember to issue a POSITIVE RATING now before you leave this page by choosing from the ratings. This is very important since it is how I receive credit for my service from what you paid.
This question will NOT close after you rate me even though it says "To Finish..". So after rating me, feel free to ask me any follow up questions at no additional cost .

Any bonus you wish to provide will be very appreciated.

If you have other NEW questions in the future, you can make sure that I answer it for you if you start your new question post with the words "FOR JENNIFER " or write it in the Subject Line.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Jennifer,
I think this question was posted in the wrong category. It should have been posted in the tax category. Can we move it to the tax category?

Sure I will try. Please do not respond or it will delay the process. Thanks

Expert:  Jason M. Tyra, CPA replied 9 months ago.

Hi There:

If the person you hire is not a US taxpayer and can claim a tax treaty benefit, then you should collect Form 8233 to certify their exemption from withholding requirements. If they are a US taxpayer or cannot claim exemption under a treaty, then collect form W4.

Status as a foreign national in itself does not exempt the person from tax. If in doubt, collect W4 and withhold taxes like any other employee.