How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7073
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter graduated college in May, 2015 - she was a full

Customer Question

My daughter graduated college in May, 2015 - she was a full time student out of state, January - May 2015. She left our home for a job out of state during the second week of July & has been independent from that point on.
Can I claim her as a dependent for a half year on my taxes? If I do, will that change her tax burden for 2015?
I paid ~$25,000 tuition & room and board for spring 2015 but the check was submitted in December 2014 (the College billing cycle). Can the Spring 2015 college costs be deducted even though paid at the end of 2014?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

OK, the test is that she must NOT have furnished more than 1/2 of her support for the calendar year. (This kind of works in reverse than normal in that it is her NOT doing that as opposed to you providing support).

If she was in school for any part of 5 months during 2015, then she qualifies for the earnings exception to the dependency rules.

She must also be under age 24 at the end of the year and have lived with you for over 1/2 of the year. (Temporary absences to attend college qualifies as living at home for that period. She appears to meet that test.)

Also, she must not be married and must be a US Citizen, or resident of Canada or Mexico.

Finally, yes if you were to qualify to claim her as a dependent, she couldn't claim herself and that would increase her tax burden.

Just checking in...................

I see that you have had a chance to review my response, but I don't see any follow-up questions?

If you do not have any additional questions, I would appreciate it if you would take a minute to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,

Steve G.