Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
8056330

I was contacted by the irs to provide additional information

Customer Question

I was contacted by the irs to provide additional information about my head of house hold return. I live with my parents but pay rent for my new born and I. My parents don't file tax returns since they are both on SSI. Is it possible for my parents to complete a statement saying how mush I pay in rent and my contribution to the household. And use this as proof of contribution as Head of Household.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page. The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Accountant about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 9 months ago.

Hello, if you provided more than half the costs of keeping a home for your child, and your child lived with you for at least half the year (NA if born in 2015), then you would qualify for HOH.

In a case where you pay fair value rent to house you and your child, that rent would be the cost of keeping a home. Does that help?

Good flowchart below

http://vivianethompson.com/Head%20of%20Household%20Rules.pdf

Expert:  Mark D replied 9 months ago.

Hello, did that answer your question? Please rate if so.