Lawrence D. Gorin
Lawrence D. Gorin, Tax Attorney
Experience:  30+ years of legal experience. Special emphasis in divorce & family tax matters.
8848811

This year I have 2 pensions that generate income. One is

Customer Question

This year I have 2 pensions that generate income. One is from a QDRO, and is for repayment of back alimony...this was court ordered to repay this way. Is there any difference in my tax liability status?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lawrence D. Gorin replied 9 months ago.

Income that you receive as the Alternate Payee under a QDRO generally consists of pre-tax dollars. You would report this income on Lines 16a and 16b ("Pensions and annuities") of your Federal Form 1040, just the same as if you were a plan participant. This is the same way by which you report all other pension income. In essence, there is no difference in your tax liability status. CLICK HERE for info from IRS>