Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

What do i need refund to be approved after rejection

Customer Question

what do i need for my refund to be approved after rejection
Category: Tax
Expert:  JenniferImmLaw replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be the immigration attorney helping you today.

Please give me details about what you were rejected for?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it was initially accepted but later rejected

Yes, but application and why was it rejected?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
no specific reason because the accepted indicator got off

I do not understand. Are you talking about an immigration application in the US?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
am talking about my tax refund

Your question is in the immigration category. I will change it for you now. Please do not respond or it will take longer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do not understand you
Expert:  Anne replied 9 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

I see that you are from Nigeria, but your question sounds to me like a US tax question.

I'm answering this question as if you are a Resident Alien. If this is not the case, please let me know, as it will drastically change my answer.

Unfortunately, a return may be rejected for a variety of reasons, and in most cases, one doesn't find out the why until the IRS sends a letter explaining why it was rejecte

There are, however, some common reasons that a return may be accepted one day, and then reject the next. One of the most common reasons is that the name, SS# ***** the date of birth does not match what the SS has on file.

Another common reason has to do with the claiming of dependent children . You didn't mention whether or not you have children, or whether or not you were trying to claim as dependents on your tax return. However, if this is the case, and the other parent already claimed them, then the IRS will reject the return if your children were claimed by someone else (the other parent)

Although this scenario will stop you from filing your return electronically, it does not mean that you can not file your children as your dependents. However, you will need to mail your return in.

The IRS will then send both of you a letter stating that the children were filed on more than 1 return, and would one of you like to amend your return, removing the children as dependents. If neither of your amend, then the IRS will send out a packet of information to both of you in the interest of determining who really has the right to claim the children.

These are the top 2 scenarios that will cause a return to reject usually within 24 hours of filing it electronically.

As I mentioned before, the IRS will send you a letter explaining why your return was rejected.

If you have further questions, please post them here & I'll be notified.

If this answer has helped you, please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.