Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

We are married filing jointly and our yearly income from

Customer Question

We are married filing jointly and our yearly income from pensions, social security , etc is around $50,000. We hd a long term capital gain in 2015 of about $160,00. Is that amount added to our income to push us into a much higher tax bracket? Looking at capital gains tax tables it shows that if income was below apx $75,900 we would not have to pay capital gains.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 11 months ago.

Q1: Is that amount added to our income to push us into a much higher tax bracket?

A1: Yes, capital gains is added to ordinary income and can cause a tax bracket jump. However capital gain income is taxed at a different rate. That rate depends on whether the asset was short or long term. If long term, the capital gains rate would be 15%. If short term gain, those gains will be taxed at the ordinary income rate.

--------------------------------------

Q2: Looking at capital gains tax tables it shows that if income was below apx $75,900 we would not have to pay capital gains.

A2: The floor amount for TY 2015 is $74,900, but this amount refers to total income, not just ordinary income.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

In my previous response, I meant to write ceiling amount of $74,900, not floor amount. Only those whose total income falls under the 10 and 15% tax bracket is eligible to take advantage of the 0% capital gains.