Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Relocated from MI july 2015.. with six months resdencey, why

Customer Question

relocated from MI july 2015.. with six months resdencey , why am i not elgible for the Homestead ...that I have received in previous years in Mi, at apartments for 7 years? I was told by many friends that i should have received half of the $1200.00 amount?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

You are allowed for a partial credit on the homestead rental as long as you lived there for 6 months or longer.

There is also the income calculation. Part year residents must annualize household income to determine if a credit reduction applies.

When you rent, use total rent paid, then prorate the first/last month based on days of occupancy to determine the total amount of rent that may be claimed for credit.

Your credit would be based on your MI income. Check your MI-1040CR, Part 3, to determine the taxes eligible to be claimed for credit on your Michigan homestead.