Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I received a 1099-MISC from an employer i worked three

Customer Question

I received a 1099-MISC from an employer i worked for for only three weeks, for $675.00 in box #7 of the 1099. I am not an Independent Contractor and I filled out a W-2 when I was hired. Taxes were suppose to be taken out of my pay. What should I do? Do I file my taxes or do I call Hellbender Harley Davidson in Marietta, Ga and ask them to replace the 1099 with my W-2? Please help me I do not want to file my taxes incorrectly.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

I think what you are saying is that you filled out a "W4" indicating your exemptions when you were hired by the Company in Georgia. Evidently they didn't withhold any Social Security & Medicare tax and income tax from your compensation.

Since it's only $675. you could include the amount as Misc income subject to Self-employment tax and the difference between what you will pay in SS & Medicare tax will amount to about $35. (more reporting it as misc income). Chances are you are not going to be able to get the Company to change the filing to a W2 now as they would have to amend all their year end tax filings. You can try, but if it were me, I'd just go ahead an file it as miscellaneous income and report the self-employment income of the $675.

Remember you would pay out 7.65% of the $675. in SS & Medicare withholding even if you were treated as an employee. You would have to send them this money as they would have paid you too much as an independent contractor without that 7.65% withholding. As an independent contractor reporting the misc income you will pay about 12.4% net (1/2 of the %15.3% is deductible on page 1 of your 1040) & given the low amounts involved, it's probably not worth it to pursue it with the Company.

Just Checking In.......I see that you have seen my response; are you having any trouble with the rating system?

Do you have any questions, or may I assist your further with your question?

If not, please remember to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much.

If you'd like to reach me again here at JustAnswer.com, just ask for "Steve G." at the beginning of your tax or financial question.

Questions?

Have you been able to resolve your problem at this point?

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 9 months ago.

Thanks very much.