Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

No we never requested additional income to be held out we

Customer Question

No we never requested additional income to be held out we would file fixed 50.00 and this is the total amount for that pay period the would hold out for federal taxes . This way we could get a couple of big checks and then drop our w4 back to normal with holding . The IRS agent that contacted me said this was ok just don't file married and 99 again.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

It sounds in your post that your intent is to only have $50 withheld for a few pay periods.

You must specify a filing status and a number of withholding allowances on Form W–4. You cannot specify only a dollar amount of withholding.

If you enter $50 on the W4 that means that the regular amount of withholding based on status and allowances marked would be calculated and $50 added to that.

You can change your W4 but if your intent is to have less withheld you can only increase your allowances. For every allowance you add that means less will be withheld. Claiming Married and 99 used to be a method people would use but that is not acceptable any longer.

The IRS has a withholding calculator that allows yo to experiment with different allowances

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/IRS-Withholding-Calculator

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Just checking back to see if you needed further assisted now that you have read my answer.