Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If I sold a home in Tn. and bought another one. I worked in

Customer Question

If I sold a home in Tn. and bought another one. I worked in Pa. for the full year can I claim Upgrades to the house I sold, paid for part of the closing cost and lost money on the home I sold?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

Your cost is increased by the improvements you made to the house. If the home you sold was your main home for 2 out of the last 5 years before you sold it then you do not have to report the sale.

If your costs (plus improvements) were more than your sale price (less costs to sale) you would not be allowed to use the loss against other income if you did use the home a a personal use property.

You are allowed to use the improvements to increase your cost.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I forgot to mention that if you had to move form your home in TN because of your job in PA then that is an exception under the exclusion of gain form the home selling.

But if you had a loss then that is really not going to change things for you.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Did you need to add more information?