Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My name is ***** *****. I am retired and receive a pension

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I am retired and receive a pension from my former employer. My ex-wife gets some of that pension because we were married while I was employed. My ex-wife recently achieved Social Security Full Retirement Age and is now eligible to collect Social Security Spousal Benefits. Our Property Settlement Agreement states that my alimony to her is a fixed amount per year, offset by any pension she gets. I would like to treat her Social Security Spousal Benefit as pension, in order to justify a reduction in alimony. My question is: Do Social Security Benefits count as pension?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I gave details. Do you need anything else?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Social Security Benefits are NOT classified as pension for income tax purposes.
These items are taxed differently and reported separately on your tax return form 1040

- Social Security Benefits are reported on lined 20a and 20b - and depending on your other income may be not taxable or partially taxable

- pension is reported n lines 16a and 16b and generally fully taxable while your original after tax contribution (if any) is distributed tax free.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

.

If additional - pension that your spouse receives from your account is reducing your pension, but social security benefits that your ex-spouse receives base don your earning record doesn't affect your benefits.

So while your position and reasoning are clear - it is very unlikely your ex-spouse would agree - and if you or she will take the issue to the court you still have some chances to prevail but there is no guarantee.

Sorry if you expected differently.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.