Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Can a transportation driver (contracted by jail) who travels

Customer Question

can a transportation driver for inmates (contracted by jail) who travels out of town for work but does not stay over night, claim per diem??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

Hello

You would not be allowed a per diem for meals and lodging if you are not away from your home overnight.

The per diem is meant to cover your costs for not being able to make it back to your tax home because of travel.

If this contract requires you use your own vehicle, you can claim mileage or actual costs for the use of your vehicle in transporting the inmates.

I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
You have to actively click on a rating (OK or Better) and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.
When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Now that you have viewed my response, please post below