How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2851
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I moved in to my father's house (age 92) to

Customer Question

My husband and I moved in to my father's house (age 92) to take care of him. We buy all groceries, pay for his medicine, pay the property tax on the house, pay for vacations, etc. Plus I clean the house, take care of his medicine, do his laundry, and cook for hm. He gets about $1000 a month each from social security and a pension. Can we claim him as our dependent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To claim somebody as your dependent, certain requirements - tests - must be met. One of them is income test which requires that dependent's income is less than $4000 a year, social security excluded. If you father is getting 12K in pension every year, he doesn't qualify to be your dependent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

You're welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with today?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.