Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I have a sister that lives with me her and her husband, they

Customer Question

I have a sister that lives with me her and her husband , they are not working right now . Can i put my sister who is 54 and her husband in my tax return.
which option do i use other , none , etc i know that for sister is there in the option for what would her husband be in my tax return. they all live with me and my husband at this time.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 10 months ago.

For tax purposes, there are two types of dependents, 1) Qualifying child(ren), and 2) Qualifying relative. As your sister and husband will not qualify under the qualifying child category, they may qualify under the qualifying relative. Refer to the qualifications below to determine if your sister and her husbands meet the qualifying relative criteria.

Qualifying relative:

What Are the Qualifying Relative Requirements?

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your Qualifying Relative.

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,000 in gross income during 2015.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter. If not, a positive rating of 3 or more stars will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.