Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Can I claim deductions funds I used on behalf of my c corp

Customer Question

Can I claim deductions for personal funds I used on behalf of my c corp
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Well my business hold events, and makes most of the money from ticket sales at the event. However, upfront costs last year were $25k more than the business had on hand. I used my personal checking a credit card to cover these costs. Unfortunately, eventual sales were low so there wasn't money to get reimbursed. So can I post this as a persdonal loss?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

Taxes are paid on income that we receive.

When you PAY - that is not your income - that is your expense - and there is no tax liability for expenses.
However as that are expenses you personally pay for C-corporation - that amount is classified as your contribution to C-corporation and it is added to the basis you have in C-corporation shares.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

Whether C-corporation may DEDUCT these expenses is a different issue - if these are qualified business expenses - they are deducted on form 1120.

But because these are expenses of C-corporation - you may not claim as your personal loss as long as you own shares of that corporation.

As you are an employee of C-corporation - C-corporation may reimburse you for these expenses - so you will receive the money tax free under an accountable reimbursement plan. And because they woudl be tax free for you - you woudl not need to deduct reimbursements.

But again - C-corporation is completely separate entity - and will need to deduct its own expenses.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.