Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

This is taxes I was divorced in 2014. My ex and I had an

Customer Question

this is for Massachusetts taxes
I was divorced in 2014. My ex and I had an agreement for that year how we split the mortgage interest because we both paid towards it.
In 2015 our house finally sold in November. During the year he has not paid anything in mortgage interest or taxes, I asked him for the 1098 to claim the mortgage interest and he refuses to give it to me.
I have paid all of the money and was legally obligated to do so. I am on the deed but not the note itself. Our agreement clearly states I have a legal interest in the house and I pay the expenses of the house.
Can I claim the mortgage interest without the form?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

Yes. You don't need the form. By sharing title to the home, the mortgage interest & real estate taxes that you paid are fully deductible as itemized deductions.

The bank or other holder of the mortgage can tell you the amount of interest if you don't have the figure.

I hope that your ex-husband doesn't think that just because he is in possession of the 1098 in his name & social security number that he can take the interest & real estate taxes as a deduction on his tax return?

Just checking in............

Do you have any follow-up questions?

If not, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to response as this is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks very much,