How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29528
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Looking on how to respond to an irs audit mileage deduction

Customer Question

Looking for assist on how to respond to an irs audit for my mileage deduction and I have very little records.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you have missing records - the only way to support your deduction would be to re-establish mileage log.

Without supporting documents - your travel deductions will be simply disallowed.

Even if you re-establish the mileage log that will NOT guarantee any positive outcome.

You need to be very precised.

See for instance here

In this case - a real estate broker, who deducted car expenses, but the IRS audited him and disallowed the entire deduction.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

He did not keep a detailed mileage log but when he learned he was being audited by the IRS, he created a handwritten mileage log with a list of places he claimed to have driven. The Tax Court found that records weren’t sufficient and denied the entire deduction.

As an example - see page 27

Table 5-2. Daily Business Mileage and Expense Log

That is an example of the mileage log acceptable by the IRS.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.