Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I worked at a friends house and they paid me through their

Customer Question

I'm Al. I worked at a friends house and they paid me through their business account. Now they area asking for my SSN to 1099 me through their business. I don't feel comfortable having them do this, since 1 it was never discussed doing work on their house would be done through their business, 2 they never paid me for the remainder of the work, and 3 I'm already declaring the income for my taxes. They said they would report me to the IRS for not providing my SSN. Can they do this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Wouldn't this 1099 be something that need to be signed before the work was started, or at least before the end of the year. Since it was for a friend and never discussed that they would try to use it for a business write-off.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

Can they do this?
yes - they may report whatever they want, but there is NO such law which would require you to provide your social security number.
You may perfectly refuse.

On the other hand - if you do not provide the tax information to the payer - they are required to withhold - but that is a different issue.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

As you are correctly reporting that income on your tax return - there is nothing you may be afraid for their reporting.

Your relations might go bad and they might not offer you any job after that - but otherwise - I do not see any issues.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.