Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I need further clarification regarding your answer to my

Customer Question

I need further clarification regarding your answer to my original question. Are you saying that if we quit claim the investment property even if the property is not for sale--kind of a "buy out" of 1 owner of the the other 2 owners (w/c is us)---we will be subject to capital gain tax & depreciation re-capture? All three of us bought this condo in Alameda (CA) for $160,000 35 yrs ago & rented it. Now it is worth at least $350,000.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

If there are several co-owners - we will need to examine transactions SEPARATELY for each owner.

When ONE owner sells his/her share - THAT transaction is reported on his tax return.
Correspondingly - THAT seller will realize capital gain.
Other owners would NOT be affected.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

So far - for the "buy out" agreement - we need to know the price paid to the departured co-owner - and THAT person will report on form 8949 the disposition of the property as (selling price) MINUS (adjusted basis)

Let me know that selling price - and I will help to estimate expected tax liability.

Correspondingly for other owners - the price they pay for the "buy out" agreement will be their basis in purchased part of the property - that basis will be used when they eventually will sell the property.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you with all tax related issues.