Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

Is there a credit or deduction or state taxes paid the

Customer Question

Is there a credit or deduction for federal or state taxes paid the previous year?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

So sorry, no, as cash basis taxpayers we must only deduct taxes (state or local on the federal return - never federal against federal) IN THE YEAR PAID.

...

You may be able to deduct state and local taxes in the year they were paid (regardless of which tax year they were for) if you itemize.

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

here's the IRS guidance on this: https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc503.html

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

From there:

...

Topic 503 - Deductible Taxes

There are four types of deductible nonbusiness taxes:

To be deductible, the tax must be imposed on you and you must have paid it during your tax year. Taxes may be claimed only as an itemized deduction on Form 1040, Schedule A (PDF), Itemized Deductions.

Expert:  Lane replied 10 months ago.

Hope this has helped … Please let me know if you have any questions at all

...

I hope you'll rate me, using the stars or the ratings request on your screen, (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news/bad news content ... But if there's something you don't understand, or if you have other questions about this, please let me know....

...

Thank you,

Lane