Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
5242771

We do not file income tax returns because we do not make

Customer Question

We do not file income tax returns because we do not make enough money. What do we do with form 1095 B ( Health Coverage) received in the mail from our health insurance company?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 10 months ago.

Hello, did you receive an insurance subsidy from the government?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No
Expert:  Mark D replied 10 months ago.

While it sounds you would not need to file, I would still suggest you do as:

- You may be entitled to credits and/or a refund

- It starts the statute of limitations for audit

- Lenders will see a record of filing as not assume one was required and you did not file

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No! I wish to terminate this transaction....seem there is a money hole here!!
Expert:  Anne replied 10 months ago.

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years.

I know you said you wanted to terminate the transaction, but I didn't want you to leave without knowing what that form really means.

All it means is that you have health insurance from somewhere. Medicare. supplemental, etc.

You do not need to file a return, and you don't need to do anything with that form. It was sent to you because of the Obama Care law, and you may receive one every year . It doesn't change your situation, and you don't have to file anything.

I am not asking to be rated on this question, and you are free to ask for a refund......it's just that I have seen alot of these, and I've seen how concerned receiving that form has made some people. Especially those who do not have to file a return.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.