Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

My Name is ***** ***** Stevenson CPA, and I do not know how

Customer Question

My Name is ***** ***** Stevenson CPA, and I do not know how to handle this situation. I am preparing a final return for an S Corp, which was previously a C corp with C corp retained earnings. What are the tax consequences of closing a S corp with C corp retained earnings on the Balance Sheet?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The C Corp elected to be an S corp 3 years ago, now they want to file a file a final return for the S Corp. What happens to the amount shown as prior C corp retained earnings?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Only tax consequences is there is BIG - built-in-gain retained by the S-corporation.

In this case - distribution of assets to shareholders is treated as the sale - and built-in gain is realized on the corporate level.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Otherwise - there is no difference. Distributions to shareholders would be treated as sale price of corporate shares (and that includes prior retained earnings from C-corporation) - so shareholders will calculate a gain or loss depending on their basis in corporate shares.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.