Mark D
Mark D, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  MBA, EA, Specializing in Business and Individual Tax Returns and Issues
8056330

Last year we created an irrevocable trust and placed our two

Customer Question

Last year we created an irrevocable trust and placed our two houses in trust for the benefit of childdren and relatives. These houses earn income as they are rented out. We usually claim the rental income in our yearly tax return. The question is: How is the creation of this trust affect our income tax reporting. Should we proceed as though it is normal income like in past years since we are still alive and no asset distribution has been made? Should we file tax returns the usual way and claim the rental on these properties this year and in the future? I need a tax expert on this question. Thank ou.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Mark D replied 10 months ago.

Hello. An irrevocable trust files its own tax return, a Form 1041. It would report the rental activity on the tax return. Depending on whether the trust requires distributions of all income or not will depend on whether the trust pays the taxes on the profits, of if the beneficiaries do by receiving a K-1 from the trust. A trust return can be complex and I would suggest hiring a tax professional to assist in preparation.

Expert:  Mark D replied 10 months ago.

Did that solve your question?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Is this an additional charge ... the original offer was 47.00... If accepted to what extend would you provide answers. I need to put questions in writing because I easily forget... and I could not dod o without rating you first. What should we do to communicate in writing rather than calling??? I would be happy to work with and hope to get satisfactory answer.
Expert:  Mark D replied 10 months ago.

I do not see the original offer for some reason. If you wish to continue here, what is your follow up question to my answer?