Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Trying to find out if I can fill out a 1099 and 1096 forms

Customer Question

trying to find out if I can fill out a 1099 and 1096 forms with black ink. I ordered the forms from Staples, but they seem to be for a printer, are there different kind I need to get, if so where would I get them from?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a couple of contractors that I need to give a 1099 form to. I don´t have an access to a printer, so I ordered the forms from Staples office supply store thinking I could just fill them out with black ink by hand. Is that correct or do I need to get a special forms to fill out by hand?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** will be happy to assist you.

While the IRS prefers printed or typed 1099 and 1096 forms, you most certainly can handwrite the information on the forms in black ink and submit them. Please make sure the information is correct and printed NEATLY on the forms.

Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for my answer and alerts JustAnswer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 10 months ago.

Just following up with you to see if I can assist you further. If so, please let me know.

Best regards,

Barb