How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29535
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a life Insurance with Met Life for $10,000. I have

Customer Question

I have a life Insurance with Met Life for $10,000. I have paid up all the payments. Later, I borrowed $4,000 from the policy and stopped making payments. They said if I die, my spouse will get $6,000 which is okay with me.
However, when I stopped paying the premiums, my Insurance company got angry and said they were going to notify the IRS that the $4,000 is income.
My puzzle is "Since when are Insurance payouts considered taxable income?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site.

They may not just report $4000 as your taxable income JUST because they got angry ...

However - distribution partially might be classified as your taxable income and the Insurance company is required to report any distribution you take.

First of all - if you took a loan - that is NOT your taxable income as long as it is expected to be paid back.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

When it becomes obvious that the loan will NOT be paid back - that amount becomes your income.

If the loan amount will NOT affect your life Insurance balance - that amount is reported as forgiven loan on form 1099C and - in this case it will be your taxable income unless you are eligible to claim any exception (for instance - if you are insolvent)

If the loan amount will be deducted from your life Insurance balance - it will not be reported on 1099C, but will be treated as cashing your life insurance policy.

If you surrender a life insurance policy for cash, you must include in income any proceeds that are more than the cost of the life insurance policy. In most cases, your cost (or investment in the contract) is the total of premiums that you paid for the life insurance policy, less any refunded premiums, rebates, dividends, or unrepaid loans that were not included in your income.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.