Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Q can a non- profit organization with its own tax code

Customer Question

Q can a non- profit organization with its own tax code transfer this tax code to another non-profit organization?
Category: Tax
Expert:  philip.simmons replied 10 months ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

No...it can not. The other non profit will need to apply for its own tax code. That tax code is unique and associated with the corporation that owns it

Please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

Hello

The IRS sometimes recognizes a group of organizations as tax-exempt if they are affiliated with a central organization. This avoids the need for each of the organizations to apply for exemption individually. A group exemption letter has the same effect as an individual exemption letter except that it applies to more than one organization.

To qualify for a group exemption, the central organization and its subordinates must have a defined relationship. Subordinates must be:

Affiliated with the central organization;

Subject to the central organization’s general supervision or control; and

Exempt under the same paragraph of IRC 501(c), though not necessarily the paragraph under which the central organization is exempt.