Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Matt...I have a similar issue as on this thread. I took

Customer Question

Customer: Matt...I have a similar issue as on this thread. I took employment with a company last year. They paid $51K ($41K relocation $10K in tax plus up) in relocation expenses. I have been with the company less than a year, and am responsible for paying back the relocation costs. The $51K was reported on my 2015 W2. I am having to pay back the $51K in 2016. Can I claim any of the repayment on my 2015 taxes or do I have to wait for 2016?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Lev, please see above
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm not in a rush
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

When payment is included into taxable income - then when later you PAY that amount back - that classified as REPAYMENT.
If you had to repay an amount that you included in your income in an earlier year, you may be able to deduct the amount repaid from your income for the year in which you repaid it. Or, if the amount you repaid is more than $3,000, you may be able to take a credit against your tax for the year in which you repaid it.
Repayment is reported on the tax return for the year when it is repaid - thus if repayment is made in 2016 - it is reported on your 2016 tax return.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

You will find information about HOW to claim a deduction or a credit for the repayment in IRS publication 525 -

www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p525.pdf
see page 34 for details and examples.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.