Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I need to send a correction on my taxes HSA and was trying

Customer Question

Customer: I need to send a correction on my taxes for 2013 for my HSA and was trying to figure out what to do with box 5 on the 5498 form. Is that my employers contribution and do I put it on the 8889 form
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I received a notice from the IRS stating I didn't do my taxes correctly and what was left out was the HSA information
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Financial Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

the 5498 form reports IRA contributions including any catch-up contributions, required minimum distributions (RMDs), and the fair market value (FMV) of the account.

Box 5. Shows the FMV of all investments in your account at year end.

You woudl use that amount to calculate RMD and taxable part of distribution if there were before tax IRA contributions in prior years.

Most likely - you do not need that information fro your tax return.