emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I sold some stock options this year. The cash shows up on my

Customer Question

I sold some stock options for work this year. The cash shows up on my W2 as part of my total compensation. What other documents should I be getting from the broker and do I need to fill our any additional tax forms for this?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You will get a 1099B from the broker and you will have to file schedule D to report the the sale. You will probably have little or no capital gains, depending on timing of exercise and sale. As you already noticed, the stock option is already reported on your W2. You will use the amount as your basis to figure out capital gains, if any.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do I need to request a 1099B from Fidelity? I signed on to their website and they don't have anything listed under tax documents.

Fidelity has until February 15 to make it available, usually you don't need to specifically request it. If you don't get it by 2/15, you can contact Fidelity and ask about it.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.