Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

, Can I claim deductible tax expenses legal fees I paid

Customer Question

Customer: Hi
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Can I claim deductible tax expenses for the legal fees I paid to obtain an O-1 visa ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Tax Professionals generally expect a deposit of about $32 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

If you paid legal expenses for the prospective employee - these are deductible.

But if you paid legal visa expenses for yourself - no deduction is allowed.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

According to the IRS -

You can deduct legal fees related to doing or keeping your job.

and you can deduct legal fees related to producing or collecting taxable income or getting tax advice.

To deduct immigration visa related fees - we need to consider if these are qualified business expenses?

To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business.

So far when the company hires foreign employees and pays legal fees related to their working visas - these are ordinary and necessary expenses and as such are deductible for the company.
However if you pay your own immigration fees - these are NOT ordinary and necessary expenses for your trade or business and may not be deducted.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.