Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

I am married and am retired drawing SS with is less than

Customer Question

I am married and am retired drawing SS with is less than $20,000. My wife works and makes over $100,000. Can she file as married and not use my income. I wouldn't file since I make less than $25,000. The reason to file separately would be there was no taxes taken out of my $19,300. What is your opinion? Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 10 months ago.

If I were you, I'd try it both ways as the Joint return tax brackets are a lot more favorable. Also, if she files Married Filing Separately she will also lose the benefit of several other deductions and limitations.

It would be a simple matter for her to complete her return without you & your figures using the Married Filing Separately Filing status, note the tax & then add you in switching to a Joint return & see which way produces the lowest tax.

Normally, that will be the Joint return filing. It may not seem logical to you, but that's the way it normally works out.

Just checking in to see if I can assist you further.

I see that you have had a chance to view my last series of comments.

Are you having a problem with our "star rating system" (it happens)? If so, you may just indicate your rating in words (ie. 5 stars, 4 stars, etc.) and then I may obtain credit for my efforts from Customer Service. Otherwise, I do not receive anything for my work with you, as we are only compensated for questions accepted by customers.

Thanks very much, Steve G.