How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29535
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter lost her w2's and employers not sending copies.

Customer Question

My daughter lost her w2's and employers not sending copies. She has not filed for several years and it is possible she is exempt (low earnings) and I still have her as a dependent. How can she catch up filing? She is 21.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

To prepare the tax returns we need to have W2 forms or at least information from W2 forms...
Even she is a dependent - she still may file and claim a refund for some taxes that were withheld.

If her employer would not provide copies of W2 forms - she may request that information from the IRS by requesting transcripts.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The IRS announced that criminals used taxpayer-specific data acquired from non-IRS sources to gain unauthorized access to information on approximately 100,000 tax accounts through IRS Get Transcript application.

As a result - the IRS Get Transcript application was shut down in May 2015, and the IRS continues to work on strengthening the system. In the meantime, taxpayers have several other options to obtain transcripts.

You still may order the transcript online

and it will arrive to you in mail.Another way - to use form 4506T

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. That was the same information I had found via the IRS as well. That won't help with state info unfortunately but is is a start .
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I would start to worry if the information is DIFFERENT from what you received from the IRS...

But as long as information is confirmed - you are assured that is correct.

Please be sure to communicate if you have any additional questions or need clarification.