Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

How can my parents gift a condo in San Diego,CA to me

Customer Question

how can my parents gift a condo in San Diego,CA to me without tax consequences. Can they use the lifetime gift of 5mil and file the gift form? would that be all it's needed? the property value is currently less than purchase so there are no appreciation issues.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 10 months ago.

Hello

Your parents can have the deed changed to your name and file form 709 to report the gift (because it is valued more than $14,000 the annual limit) then they can claim the lifetime allowance to cover the amount over $14000 so they will not actually pay any gift tax.

They can split the gift. Each of them has the lifetime allowed amount ($5.45 mil).

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Please advise if you need more information.