Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

My husband and I are both retired. Our 4-year old

Customer Question

My husband and I are both retired. Our 4-year old granddaughter lives with us. Can we claim her daycare tuition on our tax returns.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 10 months ago.

In brief no, there are strict guidelines on claiming child and dependent care expenses. SEE BELOW:

To qualify for the child and dependent care credit, you must have paid someone to care for one or more of the following people:
• A child age 12 or younger at the end of the year whom you claim as a dependent on your tax return
• Your spouse, if that person is unable to take care of himself or herself and has lived in your home for at least half the year
• Any other person claimed as a dependent on your return, if that person can't take care of himself or herself and has lived in your home at least half the year

-------------------------------------

There are several other tests you must meet to claim the credit:

• You (and your spouse, if you're married) must have "earned income," meaning money earned from a job. Non-work income, such as investment profits, doesn't count.
• You must have paid for the care so that you could work or look for work. Being a full-time student or a parent being unable to care for themself does count as "working" for the purposes of the credit even if you don’t receive any income for it.
• If you are married, you must file a joint tax return.
• You must provide the name, address and Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) of the person who provided the care. The taxpayer ID number is ***** a Social Security number (SSN) or an Employer Identification Number (EIN). Ask your care provider for the number.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Family/The-Ins-and-Outs-of-the-Child-and-Dependent-Care-Tax-Credit/INF27554.html

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.