How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7068
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Iwas unemployed entire year of 2015. My only form of income

Customer Question

Iwas unemployed for the entire year of 2015. My only form of income was from disability insurance purchased by my former employer. No federal or state taxes werepaid fby the insurance company, however midicare taxes were with held. do I have to pay income taxes on the disability money I received?
thank you,
Gwen Kraus
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes you do. You should receive a 1099 or W2 indicating that the benefits you received are taxable since they were from an employer paid policy.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.


Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if I can assist you further.

I see that you have had a chance to view my last series of comments.

Are you having a problem with our "star rating system" (it happens)? If so, you may just indicate your rating in words (ie. 5 stars, 4 stars, etc.) and then I may obtain credit for my efforts from Customer Service. Otherwise, I do not receive anything for my work with you, as we are only compensated for questions accepted by customers.

Thanks very much, Steve G.