Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I need to obtain conformed copies of my exhusbands tax

Customer Question

Hello -
I need to obtain conformed copies of my exhusbands tax returns / federal for 2009 - 2015 .
We have a court order for executed.copies --
And I now realize that he has sent one set of returns to me -- and a different set to IRS.
I need to confirm his real income because I'm 99.9% sure that he has reduced it on my copies so that he doesn't have to pay as much child support.Do u have experience with this !
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

That is a complicated issue and it should be accomplish via requesting transcripts directly from the IRS.

There are several types of transcripts.

Tax Return Transcript - shows most line items from your tax return (Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ) as it was originally filed, including any accompanying forms and schedules. This transcript doesn’t show account changes made after the return is processed. A return transcript usually meets the requirements of lending institutions offering mortgages and student loans.YesYes

Tax Account Transcript - shows basic data including return type, marital status, adjusted gross income, taxable income, credits and payments. It also shows adjustments made by you or the IRS after you filed the return. Note: If you made estimated tax payments and/or applied your overpayment from a prior year tax return to your current year tax return, you can use this transcript to confirm these payments or credits a few weeks after the beginning of the calendar year prior to filing your current year return.YesYes

Record of Account Transcript - combines the information from both the tax account and tax return transcripts.

Expert:  Lev replied 10 months ago.

.
The problem that you you will not be able to required his transcripts regardless of the court order. The IRS will not accept the court order. To accomplish that - there are several ways.
1.
Transcripts are requested by your ex-spouse and requested to be mailed to the third party - either to the court or directly to you.
2.
Your ex-spouse signs the IRS POA form authorizing you to request transcripts on his behalf.
.
If your ex-spouse disagrees with either - you would need to take him back to the court and have the judge requesting transcripts.

.
I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.
Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.
If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.