Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

I recived a notice of deficiency from the State of NJ from

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** I recived a notice of deficiency from the State of NJ from 2006. They want $21K I had two CPA for that year one for my business one for my personal. I was audited in 2009 for that year I hired another CPA handle the problem. What is the Staue of limitation as NJ just said they recived information from the Federal Government and I still owe them. The numbers that they said I earned are completle overstated as per my 3 CPA
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was audited in 2009 by the Federal government. I had to pay them about $20 more money after my CPA took care of the problem for the 2006 Tax year. Today I recive a notice from the State of NJ saying I owe 21K for informaion they recived just recentily from the Federal Government.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: $20K What is the statues of limitations for NJ on Tax clollection since it's 10 years later
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you please answer the question on NJ statue of limitaions on Tax collection
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was audid by the Federal Government for 2006 tax year in 2009. I hired my 3rd. CPA to handle the problem as he was fomer IRS. I paid $20K. Today I recived a notice of deficiency from the State of NJ requesting $21,307.39. What is the statue of limitations as this was my first notice that there was problem with my return. It was from 2006! What are my rights!
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Hi from Just Answer. I'm PDtax. I can assist.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hello
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was audit by the Federal Government for 2006 tax year in 2009. I hired my 3rd. CPA to handle the problem as he was former IRS. I paid $20K. Today I received a notice of deficiency from the State of NJ requesting $21,307.39. What is the statue of limitations as this was my first notice that there was problem with my return. It was from 2006! What are my rights!
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

There is generally a four year statute in New Jersey for them to audit a tax year. This does NOT apply if you failed to report your Federal changes for 2006.

This happens more often than you might think. The state has no burden to move up the time frame, and likely only contacted you when one of your CPAs spoke to the right representative at NJ.

Tell me, did you file an amended NJ1040X?

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

I can't believe that you had quality representation and that the amended return was never prepared and submitted. When was the Federal audit finalized?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The information they have is completely wrong! Why wouldn't the CPA from the Audit file a amended return for NJ. So basically they (state of NJ) has zero statue of limitations even though it's 10 years later. What would happen if I was dead. Would they dig me up and ask for a check. What can I do as the numbers they are showing are oversated by lmost $210K.
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

If you never submitted an amended return, NJ might have created an assessment based on preliminary results. Errors in these returns happen all the time.

I suggest you assemble your final Federal report of changes, and prepare a NJ 1040X with the final adjustments. Once you have the correct number, you might be able to negotiate a reduction for the penalty and interest charges.

You might also consider contacting the previous tax pros to ask for a copy of the amended return they must have prepared. If they can not produce one, they might be encouraged to call their malpractice carrier.

I don't say that lightly. Filing the New Jersey amendment is just part of closing an audit case. I don't know why that seems not to be done.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been in insurance for 25 E&O problem for the CPA. I paid this guy $12K for the audit and filing
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

E & O is the insider's term for the coverage, so I know you know the subject.

How else can I assist? Can you prepare the amended return?

If this covers what you need, positive feedback will be appreciated. I'm PDtax.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

And, it looks like I don't charge enough for audit defense work. Just kidding.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to cancel my service. What do I have to do to cancel the service now.