emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I $2000 at a casino and failed to claim it on 2014 taxes.

Customer Question

I $2000 at a casino and failed to claim it on 2014 taxes. Got a letter that I owe $750. But lost over a $1000 before hitting the jackpot . Can I file a revised tax return and show only a net win?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 11 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Yes, you can file an amended return form 1040x. To deduct your losses, however, you will have to itemize your deductions. It means you need more deductions like property taxes, large medical bills, state and local taxes and such. you need more than $6,200 worth of deduction to be able to fully deduct your lottery losses.

Couple of useful links:

https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc419.html

Form Schedule A: https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.