Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Is the money spent on tuition MBA (above the $5,250 I am

Customer Question

Is the money spent on tuition for my MBA (above the $5,250 I am reimbursed) deductible under the IRS allowance for "Business deduction for work-related education expenses"? I believe it would fall under "The education maintains or improves skills needed in your present work."
I manage the portfolio of an entire state for a medical technologies company. My undergrad was in biology, with no academic background in business. It was recommended by superiors I obtain education in business to improve my ability to do my job. I am pursuing the degree to improve my skills for my current job. I am not trying to move to another trade or position.
I believe this would compare to Lori Singleton-Clarke v. Commissioner, T.C. Summ. Op. 2009-182. where a nurse worked in an administrative role and was able to deduct her MBA expenses. I too work in the medical field, without a business background, but doing business related duties in my career.
Thank you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Yes - if all required condition met - that cost is deductible.
It doesn't matter if you are seeking MBA degree.

As long as you stay in the same business - these are deductible expenses.
On the other hand - you might have better tax benefits if you will use these expenses for educational credit - that is something to try.

Otherwise - I see no issues.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You may review specific requirements for either tax benefits in IRS publication 970

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p970.pdf

based on your information - I do not see any issues and if you were my client I woudl recommend such deduction.

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.