How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14880
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a U.S. permanent resident who never been employed or

Customer Question

I am a U.S. permanent resident who never been employed or have had any income in the USA, my income comes from my country Iran from my tenants, for sponsoring my childs to come to USA the immigration required me to send my 2014 tax return and w2 wage. Which I do not have it.
In 2014 my daughter who is working in USA add myself to her tax return as parents who is helping. My question is what should I send to the USCIS as my tax evidence for 2014 tax return? Should I send my daughter tax return? Or.
Do I exempt from paying taxes?
What should I say to the immigration as an excuse for not paying taxes?
Under what tax rule I am exempted to pay taxes ?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


As a US permanent resident you are to report your Worldwide income. This includes foreign rental.

You are not exempt from taxation. So there is no rule for you to claim.

You need to complete a US 1040 form and on that form show all your income. You will need a Schedule E for the rental income.

The depreciable building portion of your tax basis in the property must be depreciated over a 40 year straight line period. Land cost is not depreciable.

The fact the property does not produce a profit does not exempt you from putting it on your US tax return. You can offset any foreign income taxes paid on rental profits against your US tax on that same taxable amount. This is shown on Form 1116.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You didnot answer one of my question , my daughter put me in her 2014 tax return . Can I send my daughter tax return to immigration as my tax status in 2014?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

No, your return is needed.

If your income was $3950 in 2014, your daughter will need to amend her return and remove you as a dependent. That amount is the limit you could have made and your daughter be allowed legally to claim you.

Until you complete that 2014 return (that shows all your income) and see what your true US taxable income was you should not send anything.

The 2014 return is not going to be difficult to complete. It should not take a tax professional much time at all then you will know if your daughter was legally allowed to claim you, and send your copy of the return to UCIS.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I file for 2014 taxes now eventhough
I am in my daughter tax return ?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Yes. If it turns out that your income does not prevent your daughter from claiming you, it will be marked on your return that you were claimed. UCIS will see that when you give them a copy.

If she could not then she will need to amend and correct her filing.

I know you most likely were not expecting the information you received but if my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.