Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If you pay a dentist work and pay m using a care credit card

Customer Question

If you pay a dentist for dental work and pay him using a care credit card for the full amount, do you claim the full amount as the deduction, or only the payments you made that year
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you use the CareCredit Card you can claim the full payment to the dentist in the year the card is used. In other words, if your dental bill is $2000 for 2015 and you use your card to pay that full amount in 2015 you can use the full $2000 as a medical deduction on your Schedule A.

• You include all the qualified medical costs that you paid for during the year. However, you can only deduct the amount that is more than 10 percent of your adjusted gross income.
  • Temporary threshold for age 65. If you or your spouse is age 65 or older, the AGI threshold is 7.5 percent of your AGI. This exception applies through Dec. 31, 2016.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!