Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

If a student graduated gh School in 2011 and started College

Customer Question

if a student graduated High School in 2011 and started College in Sept 2011
attended college 2011-2012-2013-2014 and graduated in spring of 2015
Question -- for what four tax years can the American Opportunity Credit be used
thank you ***@******.***
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Bill,

..

Hi - I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from Mercer University’s Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP® and CRPS designations.

I can help here

...

The American opportunity tax credit can be claimed for expenses for the first four years of post-secondary education.

...

So, based on your example the credit would be available for all four years

...

The American opportunity tax credit, which expanded and renamed the already-existing Hope scholarship credit, expanded the credit from two to four years.

...

Please let me know if you have questions

..

Lane

..

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

By the way here's an excellent Q&A on the credit, from IRS: https://www.irs.gov/uac/American-Opportunity-Tax-Credit:-Questions-and-Answers

...

Also, once you've used the American Opportunity Credit for those first four years (which is a $2500 credit that is 40% refundable - meaning that even if the person using the credit has no tax liability it can still generate a $1000 refund) you can still use the Lifetime learning credit after that (no limit on the years used).

..

The lifetime learning credit is a 2000 credit but non-refundable (you must have an income tax liability to use it AGAINST)

...

Hope this has helped...Let me know if you have questions.

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by using the stars on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

Thank you,

Lane