R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
63817126

My name is ***** *****. Had a quick question about Franchise

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, My name is ***** *****. Had a quick question about Franchise tax filings in Texas
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Need to file franchise tax reports. Didn't make more than 10K last year. Can I file the No Tax Due Report?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, can you send me an invoice? Or how does it work?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
how do I answer this question: Does the entity have zero Texas Gross Receipts?
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 1 year ago.

Hello, this is Randall and I will be able to assist you with your Texas Franchise Tax report.

Assuming this is not your first year filing the Texas Franchise report, then you can file a No Tax Due report if your gross sales were less than $1 Million.

However, if you had SOME sales, then you will NOT mark the box "Zero Texas Gross Receipts" if you had more than $1 of sales IN TEXAS. However, you can mark box on Line 2 "Tax Below the Threshold", in order to qualify for the No Tax report.

I hope this answers your question. If so, please provide a positive rating so that I may receive credit for assisting you today!

If you need further clarification, please feel free to ask prior to making your rating. The rating closes out your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Actually I am filing for last year (playing catch-up). This would be my first franchise tax report filed. Does this matter?

You would need to file an Initial Franchise tax report.

The form looks very similar, just that it says TCode 13235 INITIAL at the top left. I believe it is Form 05-163

Sorry it is Form 05-163-i (i for initial)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'm filing online so I assume the state is providing the proper one. Many thanks!

Have a great day and thanks for choosing JustAnswer.