Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

My daughter is eighteenyears old can I carry her on my

Customer Question

my daughter is eighteenyears old can I carry her on my incometax this year
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 11 months ago.

It depends on if the qualifications are met for her to be claimed as a qualifying child or a qualifying relative. For tax purposes, there are two types of dependents, 1) Qualifying child and 2) Qualifying relative. There are strict guidelines that have to be met for both. SEE BELOW:

Qualifying Child:

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

-----------------------------------------

Qualifying Relative:

An individual must meet all 4 of these requirements in order to be considered your Qualifying Relative.

1. Not a Qualifying Child: The individual cannot be your Qualifying Child and cannot be someone else's Qualifying Child. They are a Qualifying Child if they meet all the requirements, whether or not they are claimed as a dependent.
  2. Relationship: The person must either have lived with you for the entire year as a member of the household (a person who is not actually related to you may meet the requirements in this way), or be related to you in one of the following ways: your child, stepchild, grandchild or other descendant of one of your children (or stepchildren or foster children), son-in-law, daughter-in-law, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, parent, stepfather, stepmother, father-in-law, mother-in-law, grandparent, and, if related by blood, aunt, uncle, niece, or nephew. Remember that a child whom you legally adopted is always considered to be your child. Also note that, for the purposes of this requirement, divorce or death does not change any relationship which was established by marriage (e.g. son-in-law, daughter-in-law, etc.)
  3. Gross Income: The person must have made less than $4,000 in gross income during 2015.
  4. Support: You must have provided more than half of the individual's total support during the year.

If the qualifications are met for either category of dependent, then you may claim your daughter.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.