Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

How do I find the State of Maryland EIN? This is a

Customer Question

How do I find the State of Maryland EIN? This is a requirement for box 15 of the 2015 W2 form.
Thank you so much,
Kathleen
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

The Tax ID number is ***** called a “Federal EIN” (Federal Employer Identification Number).

That is EIN assigned by the IRS.

The Maryland tax ID which is used on W2 box 15 is an ID your business as an employee received when registered with state taxing authorities.

The filings process is to file a “Combined Central Registration” with the Maryland Comptroller’s Office.

This form from the Comptroller’s Office will ask the filer to list both the FEIN number and this Department’s internal entity filing number. This Central Registration Form of the Comptroller’s Office deals with Maryland taxes owed, including employee withholding taxes.

The Comptroller’s Office may be reached at _410_767_1313_ from the Baltimore area,

_800_492_1751_ from elsewhere in Maryland, or via the internet at

https://interactive.marylandtaxes.com/webapps/comptrollercra/entrance.asp

Does that answer your question?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No, I need the State of Maryland's ID number. This is a requirement for box 15 of the 2015 W2s.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We do have an ID number issued by the State of Maryland. I will call the Comptroller's office to verify tomorrow.Thanks,
kb
Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

That is a state ID assigned to your business.

The business entity must be registered with the state to obtain that state tax ID.

For registration - the business entity must use Registration Form of the Comptroller’s Office

Here is the form

http://forms.marylandtaxes.com/current_forms/CRA.pdf

You may fax the completed application to _410_260_7908_

You may also use online registration.

Either way - your business entity will be assigned the state tax ID which you will use on W2 form box 15,

There is no other tax ID to use.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
OK, thanks.-kb
Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

Your Maryland Central Registration number is ***** eight-digit number located in the upper left part of your withholding return to the right of your FEIN, under the label "REGISTRATION NBR."

.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.