USTaxAdvising
USTaxAdvising, CPA
Experience:  US Taxation specialist.
58296935

Duty in the US military and I am a resident of the State of

Customer Question

I am Active duty in the US military and I am a resident of the State of NY. I meet the Pre requisites to no pay state tax. Am I still required to file even though I have not paid state tax? If I haven't filed state tax in years how far do I have to go back on my returns?
Category: Tax
Expert:  USTaxAdvising replied 11 months ago.

I can help you with your NYS tax questions.

Am I still required to file even though I have not paid state tax? - As a member of the armed forces, you generally must file your New York State return at the same time and in the same manner as any other taxpayer. File your return after January 1, but not later than April 15. If you cannot meet the due date and you need more time to file your return, you may request an automatic six-month extension of time to file.

If I haven't filed state tax in years how far do I have to go back on my returns? - You should file all tax returns that have not been filed. Having said that most people will file the past six years.

Here are some good resources for you:

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/publications/income/pub361.pdf

Best regards,