PDtax
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
64119565

I work in FL half of the year. 90 days on, 90 days off. The

Customer Question

I work in FL for about half of the year. 90 days on, 90 days off. The company I work for is based out of FL. I am currently a CT resident. Would I be able to claim residency in FL (for tax reasons), even though I spend my "off time" in CT? More often than not, I will be in FL for more than half the year. I already have an established address in FL, revoked my CT voter registration, and plan on obtaining a FL drivers license and registering my vehicles there. I do however own property in CT amd plan on keeping this property to stay in when in CT. Would all of this (not a CT voter, no vehicles in CT, no job in CT, FL license, FL job, FL address on bills) be enough to not pay CT income tax?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What else can I do to further distance myself from CT?
Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax. You haven't done enough.

Expert:  PDtax replied 1 year ago.

Retaining your CT real property kills what you have in mind. Returning to the state during down time fails what is called the ' near and dear' test in these cases. Where your down time is, and where the things are that are near and dear to you, is a factor in state residence not often published, but regularly failed.

Your time spent in CT, the location of your near and dear items, both must be revisited to establish not only FL residence, but CT nonresidence. Even part time CT residence soils your tax plan.

Thanks for asking at just answer. Positive feedback is appreciated. I'm PDtax.